Followers

Thursday 26 March 2020

Pupation Approaches?

With it getting more difficult to get out, even on the Downs without seeing lots of people, I am trying to find ways of getting to the areas where I am normally clear of others without hitting the commonly used footpaths. 

Yesterday I did manage to have a short time in a secluded area and in doing so I found just 2 of the Wall Brown larvae I've been monitoring. One was feeding out in the open and the other was one of the smaller specimens. Every year just before the end of March the larvae become much harder to find and this is possibly due to the larvae moving to a different area to pupate as well as them becoming more nocturnal in their habits.

Pictured below is the larva feeding in the open.



Wall Brown larva feeding.


I was also hoping to find the first of the scarcer micro moths that I find in the area and I was pleased when this tiny Ancylis comptana appeared. Most years I see my first one of these before the end of March.



Ancylis comptana.

Finally, I couldn't resist posting another image of the stunning male Sparrowhawk that I photographed a couple of weeks back when I was with Phil. 




Male Sparrowhawk.



1 comment: