Followers

Thursday 9 March 2017

Spring Is Here.

A brilliant day started with seeing a good number of Great-crested Newts performing their courtship. Also a smaller number of Palmate Newts too. Following this a quick check on the Wall Brown larva with 2 found straight away. By mid morning the sun had burnt the sea mist away and I was pleased to see a Peacock as well as my first Small Tortoiseshell of the year. It was then a hunt for my first Adder of the year, although the cool breeze wasn't helping a single Adder was found and this male was getting as much heat from the sun by laying along the top of some Gorse. An extremely painful place to lay!! Corn Buntings were also very evident with many calling, a smart Red Kite also flew over.




Male Adder.



Laying on a Gorse Bush!!






Adder close-up.



Corn Bunting.



After getting home the weather was still so good that I decided to head out again with a walk from home. As I was leaving the close my first Comma of the year was seen. It was quite a tatty individual but a surprising sighting. Another Small Tortoiseshell was also seen as well as a fabulous view of a Woodcock flying past. All in all it really was a great day.


3 comments:

  1. Would love to see and photograph a wild Adder. It's on my list but maybe this year!! Lovely photos by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos are truly stunning. Snakes do not belong to my favorites.

    ReplyDelete