Followers

Thursday 18 August 2016

A Very Yellow Day.

With a fabulous evening promising warm and still conditions with a light cloudy morning I put the moth trap out last night. It was generally poor this morning though, lots of moths but no rare migrants, which is what I was hoping for!! The only moth worth photographing was a lovely Canary-shouldered Thorn. With the lovely yellow fur around the head and the strange looking mouth parts it posed very well for me.








Male Canary-shouldered Thorn.


Following this I headed for the coastal area looking for the influx of Clouded Yellow. In the last few days many of these great migrant butterflies have flown over from the continent and this will probably be my last new species for the year. This brings my UK year total to 43, a little less than most years. In total I probably saw double figure numbers and this included a fabulous helice form. Some egg laying was also observed which could produce some very fresh butterflies in late October and November if the weather holds!!



Clouded Yellow.



Clouded Yellow helice form.



2 comments:

  1. Fantastic. It is rare that Clouded Yellows make their way up here. The way the weather is today I won't be holding my breath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Yellow butterflies are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete