Followers

Monday 16 September 2019

Big Long Thing.

Over the past few years I have spent time looking for a Privet Hawk-moth caterpillar on the wild Privet that grows locally over the Downs, but in all that time I have failed to find one.

Looking through some very old photos a while back I was surprised to find I had some photos of a half grown one from way back but that was about it.

On Thursday I was doing a bit of gardening for a lady in Seaford when I spotted amongst the weeds a fully grown Privet Hawk-moth Caterpillar. Amazing what you can find when you are not looking for it!!  It is surprising how difficult they can be to find in the wild as they are not rare and they are enormous.  Brilliant to have found one at last.









Privet Hawk-moth caterpillar.



No comments:

Post a Comment