Followers

Sunday 2 September 2018

Hornet Robberfly.

My brief outings continued with a short visit to the patch, once again hoping for the 3rd brood Wall Brown on the same date as last year's appearance.
It wasn't to be however, and after a short while I saw James who was busy photographing a very fresh male Holly Blue. It didn't pose as well once I turned up, but I did get a couple of shots of this tricky species.






Male Holly Blue.

Further along the valley we were into the area where many Wasp Spiders are showing. Although I now have several shots of these stunning spiders I still couldn't resist a couple more. This included the more unusual under-side shot.






Female Wasp Spider.

On the walk along we had seen a couple of Hornet Robberflies. On the return we were hoping to see another and we struck lucky when one was spotted, this one had caught a small Beetle and was sucking the 'innards' out of it. Although it flew a few times it did land closely each time and a few photos were taken. These Robberflies are great hunters and fabulous to watch, certainly a highlight being able to watch these.






Hornet Robberfly with prey.

Yesterday a quick visit to Friston Forest looking for Hawk-moth larva. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any. Some good views of Spotted Flycatchers, possibly a family group of around 4 or 5. The only larva I could find was a Peppered Moth on Sallow. This larva has amazing camouflage, looking like a twig.



Peppered Moth larva.

I also had a Red Admiral larva on the garage door on Thursday. As it fell off the door when I opened the door I placed it on some foliage in the garden. Later that day I noticed it had started to make a small larval tent in a Buddleia leaf. The next day it had started to pupate and it was just possible to photograph it in the leaf. Today it has now turned into a proper pupa and I hope I will be able to observe it as it matures.



Red Admiral in the process of pupating.





2 comments:

  1. I've also seen a few Wasp Spiders recently. Bet they can give a bite? Look forward to following the Red Admiral pups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful picture of the fresh Holly Blue. Sadly we don't have them up here any longer. There were a few small colonies, but a series of poor summers finished them off.
    The Red Admiral caterpillar is a great find. I love watching the various stages of a butterfly's life.

    ReplyDelete