Followers

Friday 10 June 2016

Moth Trap is Scorching Hot.

I decided last night to dust off the moth trap and see what I could catch. With many Diamond-back Moths, a migrant species, being seen locally, as well as the Painted Lady influx, I was hoping for a rare migrant to appear. This didn't happen unfortunately but it was still a successful night for the trap with my first ever Scorched Wing. This is a really nice moth and one that I didn't think I would get around here. It is so called as the wings look as if they have been 'scorched'.



Scorched Wing.



Scorched Wing. (Showing he's a male)!!


It is the beauty of the moth trap that you just never know what will turn up. Apart from the really common moths I also had my first ever Shoulder-striped Wainscot. Singles in Campion, Sycamore, Diamond-back Moth and pairs of both Common Marbled Carpet and Privet Hawk Moths made up the tally.




Common Marbled Carpet.



Shoulder-striped Wainscot.



Privet Hawk Moth.



2 Privet Hawk Moths.



Privet Hawk Moth.



4 comments:

  1. Very nice Bob. Love the Privet Hawk moth, what a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Bob. Love the Privet Hawk moth, what a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I like a lot of these butterflies. They are just so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you have had success. I have had no more than four moths at a time in my trap so far this year. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

    ReplyDelete