Followers

Friday 25 April 2014

Grass Snake and Skippers.

I'm now slowly catching up with this report from last Wednesday when Nigel came over to look at my Wall Brown pupa and also to look for larvae in the grasses.
Pretty soon I had seen my first Grizzled Skipper of the year and after a short look for larvae other than Wall Brown and a check on the pupa we headed over the hill to look for other butterflies in the valley. 
On the way there we came across a fabulous Grass Snake that was right out in the open, being careful not to panic the creature we quietly approached it and managed some fine close up shots of this normally difficult to approach snake. After taking a few pictures the snake carried on slithering towards the bushes some 40 metres away. Across the road the butterflies were still not too forthcoming.










The following day I went back to once again monitor the pupa, whilst there I was lucky to find both Grizzled and Dingy Skippers as well as the first Sussex Small Heath of the year. Two brilliant days of watching and photographing wildlife.




Grizzled Skipper




Dingy Skipper




Small Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment