Followers

Monday 3 March 2014

Large Blue Target.

Back in 2009 I saw three new British butterflies for me with the Large Blue being the first of them. I have not managed to return to Somerset since and this year I very much hope that I can get back and improve on the images I obtained then. It was a double reason for going to Collard Hill then as nearby there was a Little Bittern that was on the RSPB reserve at Ham Wall. Matt and I headed for Ham Wall first but struggled to find the reserve so we then went to Collard Hill as there was a window of brightness in the sky. We soon found the Large Blue but they were very active and it was quite difficult getting decent images. After a couple of hours Matt went back to the car but I decided to hang about a little longer, and I was glad I did as I found a Large Blue posing well and then a mating pair sitting high up and allowing several photographs. On the way back to the car the heavens opened and thunder and lightening nearby made me speed up somewhat!! We then headed back to Ham Wall where we found the reserve. We soon heard the high dog like call of the Little Bittern in the reedbeds and then amazingly we saw it in flight several times. We also saw our first ever Scarlet Tiger Moth on the reserve.




Our first Large Blue.




Female ovipositing.








Mating pair. (male on right).

No comments:

Post a Comment