Followers

Friday 29 September 2017

Cuckmere Waders.

Late on Wednesday afternoon I was at home resting after a long walk on Pevensey Levels with Nigel when Matt called in to get some water before going for a walk down the Cuckmere. When he suggested that I join him I very nearly declined the offer, but as we rarely seem to get out in the field together I decided to go. We had barerly started our walk when we came across 3 waders on the bank of the river. Both of us looked through our binoculars and I said to Matt, 'that looks like a Little Stint'. He replied by saying 'that looks like a Curlew Sandpiper'. As it was we were both correct as both birds were there with a Dunlin. Both the Stint and Sandpiper are scarce visitors to the Cuckmere, with the Stint being only the 2nd one that Matt has seen there in all his visits over the years. Unfortunately the light was by this time very poor so the photos taken were only poor record shots. We ventured on further seeing a female Merlin, a Mediterranean Gull, several Wheatear, a Whinchat and a flock of around 15 Scoter along the sea.
Thursday morning came and I returned to the river in the hope that the Stint and Sandpiper were still there as the weather had now improved. Walking along the river there was no sign of either the birds or birders. It wasn't looking promising. A Dunlin in the meander at least gave me a subject for the camera and after managing some shots I went back up to the top of the river bank and immediately saw the group of 3 birds again. Although they didn't allow a close approach, by staying still eventually the birds came quite close and actually rested near me. Then, following a bit of preening they started foraging on the bank with the Stint coming quite close to me, seeming to be totally oblivious to my presence. 




Dunlin in the meander.



Curlew Sandpiper with Little Stint behind.



Curlew Sandpiper and Little Stint in front.



Little Stint.



Curlew Sandpiper.



Little Stint.



Little Stint.



Little Stint, Dunlin and a sleepy Curlew Sandpiper.




Little Stint.



Little Stint.



Curlew Sandpiper.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good session - some super images

    ReplyDelete