Followers

Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Red-necked Phalarope.

 The day after we had returned from Transylvania I saw a photo on Flickr from my friend David, of a juvenile Red-necked Phalarope that had turned up in a lake on the outskirts of Eastbourne. This was a bird that I had only seen once before, over in Kent a few years ago. I thought it was typical that it had turned up when I was not around.

However, the bird did the decent thing and decided to hang around long enough for Lisa and I to get over there to see it before it continued its migration south. As it was, it actually stayed for another week after we saw the bird.

It was not an easy bird, as they are much smaller than expected, and the reeds around the lake were always getting in the way of a shot if it came really close. It was really a case of trying to get ahead of the bird as it swam around the lake and waiting where there were gaps in the reeds.

It took a while, but in the end we both managed to get some shots of this delightful little bird. Also the reward of enjoying watching the bird as it swam around hunting insects on the surface of the lake.



Red-necked Phalarope.









Red-necked Phalarope having spotted an insect.



Caught it.





The Red-necked Phalarope.


It was a beautiful bird and we were so pleased to have caught up with it before it continued its migration.

No comments:

Post a Comment