Followers

Wednesday, 5 August 2026

Bulgaria Bits and Bugs.

Dragonflies and butterflies were the main focus, but Bulgaria has such a diverse spectrum of other insects there was always going to be many other highlights.

Here are a few of the other delights that we saw. As I didn't have my birding lenses, most of the  pictures are of the smaller creatures. Needless to say though, we did see an awful lot of spectacular birds. The favourites being the countlesss Golden Orioles and Bee-eaters. However, Shrikes were also seen well as were several Swift species, Black Stork, Roller, Cirl Bunting, Montagu's Harriers, Griffen Vultures, Short-toed Eagle and so much more.

Back to the smaller creatures, although the first two cannot really be called small, as they were two huge crickets.

The stunning Bronze-glandular Bush-cricket are mostly seen as they cross the road. Unfortunately, many are squashed in the process, but we did our bit by stopping to help a couple of them reach the other side!!


Female Bronze-glandular Bush-cricket.

The other huge cricket was the Balkan Predatory Bush-cricket. This species actually feeds on other large crickets, including the impressive Wart-biter. We came across this beautiful cricket twice during the trip.


Female Balkan Predatory Bush-cricket.



Not for the fainthearted!!

A couple of other crickets seen included the Alpine Dark Bush-cricket in the grounds of the highest hotel we stayed at.



Alpine Dark Bush-cricket.

Meanwhile, the Bellied Bright Bush-cricket was seen in good numbers all through our stay.



Female Bellied Bright Bush-cricket.

A couple of keen spotters found the Mantid seen here. Two were seen with this one found munching through a Meadow Brown.



Fasciated Conehead Mantid eating Meadow Brown.

I have always enjoyed seeing Bee-flies. I only managed to photograph two species in Bulgaria, but they were both impressive.



Black-banded Bee-fly.

This one below, also has a very impressive, and fun Latin name. When I found out the name of it I had a good chuckle.


Villa hottentotta.

Around one of the ponds there were many Oriental Tree-frogs. These were escapees or more likely releases from some time back. Needless to say they are enjoying their environment here and are doing rather well.


Oriental Tree-frog.

This tiny micro moth flew past me and settled on a leaf in front of me. A very impressive pair of antennae.



Euplocamus ophisa.

My first ever foreign trip was when I was 23 when Pen and I went to Spain with her Mum and brother. One day I went on my own up into the high hills behind the resort, where I found the most impressive caterpillar that I had ever seen. Ever since I have hoped to see another one. It is the larva of the Spurge Hawk-moth. Jo from our group finally gave me my wish when she found two of these beauties at one of our stops. After these, we found more, and by the end of the week we had found around twenty. Ranging in size from small to enormous.



Spurge Hawk-moth larva.



A greener version of Spurge Hawk-moth larva. Note the baby one above it.



Spurge Hawk-moth larva.

In a another meadow I spotted this fritillary larva. It seems it's the larva of the Queen of Spain Fritillary.



Queen of Spain larva.

Near the QoS larva was a couple of gorgeous Wood Tiger. I normally find these only when they are worn, but this one was very fresh.



Wood Tiger.

A species I used to watch when I was a young lad in the local woodland was the Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth. Unfortunately these are now extinct locally to me, so when I see them on my travels it brings back some lovely memories. Unlike the familiar Hummingbird Hawk-moth, the Bee Hawk-moth places it's feet on the flower that its neactaring from. This gives the photographer a second longer to focus on it. It's still near on impossible even then though!



Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth feeding.



Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth settled.

Several of this lovely weevil were seen. Quite a bit bigger than many weevil species.



Lixus iridis.

We also saw at least two Ant-lion species. This one was quite a bit smaller than the Mottled-winged Ant-lion that was the main species that we saw.


Ant-lion.

Around Lake Kerkini the birdlife was very impressive. Only this Squacco Heron really came near enough for my short insect zoom lens though.



Squacco Heron.

One of our group also spotted a pair of Coypu. This is not a native animal but was still a nice addition to our sightings, as well as being totally unexpected.



Coypu.

On our final butterfly site we also saw the very impressive Balkan Lizard Orchid. 



Balkan Lizard Orchid.

Another really good orchid moment was nearly missed due to being so enthralled by all the insect life. Unfortunately, I should have taken much more care while photographing this Red Helleborine. A species that is mega rare in the UK, and so carefully protected it is almost impossible to see. As I was rushing to catch the rest of the group up, and as it was also raining very hard I quickly took an image on the phone. A bit frustrating really, and I kick myself for missing what is likely to be the only chance I will ever have of photographing one of these.



Red Helleborine.


No comments:

Post a Comment