Followers

Wednesday 4 April 2018

More Signs of Spring.

With Spring very slow to get going this year, I once again headed for the woods for a stroll around with Nigel. With sunshine on and off, it was only the strong breeze that meant it was still a little cool for butterflies. Eventually we did see a Peacock in the late morning, but apart from that the only real interest was in the form of a very smart Adder. It seemed very content to lay in the sun amongst the dead Bracken, which gave it some great camouflage. With the intermittent sunshine the Adder was constantly moving very slowly trying to find the warmest spot. We visited the site several times during our visit, and after Nigel had to leave I went back myself a few times, when it eventually moved to a position where it was possible to photograph it without too much foliage over it. After Nigel had left I also spotted a much smaller male Adder around 50 yards away from the larger adult. with more sunshine now as well a Brimstone flew past hunting females in the Bramble bushes.
A carpet of Wood Anemone was also growing, soon to cover the floor of the woodland.




Adder hiding in the old Bracken.



Adder still hiding.



Adder at last more visible.



Wood Anemone.


The Speckled Wood that I spotted on the 31st March actually matched my first sighting last year, being also 31st March, as well as being in the same location.


2 comments:

  1. All these photos of Adders and I've still never seen one. Not that common in Kent I believe and also kept pretty quiet from what I can work out.Lovely photos by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those evil copper eyes....beautiful and deadly

    ReplyDelete